Counselling Skills (Intermediate) – July 2024
July 8 @ 9:00 am - July 9 @ 4:30 pm
This workshop builds on the skills and processes developed in the professional development and training opportunity. In this two-day hands-on workshop, we will explore counselling from the perspective that we have an inner cognitive and emotional life that significantly effects how we live day-to-day as well as long-term choices made. From these understandings, we will explore processes and applications that can assist clients to become further empowered, self-aware, self-accepting and positive.
This course is designed for people that have some basic education in counselling approaches and/or are already working with clients in a supportive capacity and wish to extend their training and skills.
Please note, this course does not qualify participants to work in a professional setting as a counsellor.
Via a mix of group learning, role-plays, exercises and education sessions, following the completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Understand and demonstrate active listening skills and a person-centred approach
- Understand the process of the adaptive self on authenticity and applications when working with clients
- Develop awareness and skills to assist clients to progress from negative self-talk to self-acceptance
- Develop an introductory understanding of the effects of interconnected internal and external factors and their impact on wellbeing and health (Note: this will be delivered via a brief overview and a detailed handout)
- Understand and apply a strengths- and values-based approach to client work
- Apply structured and unstructured goal setting approaches with clients
- Understand and apply principles of motivation and reinforcement theory for building positive habits
- Apply scale-ruler questions to assess needs, relationships and decision-making
- Understand the concept of core emotions and emotional suppression, and, how to work at an emotional level with clients
- Understand the concepts and application of gratitude and compassion
- Practice and extend self-awareness in the counselling process
Depending on the needs and counselling experience of the group members, the above learning objectives may be modified accordingly.
Dr Renzo Vittorino
Renzo is the Deputy Director of Clinical Services at the Cairnmillar Institute and has extensive leadership and clinical experience spanning over 30 years. Renzo has experience in working with individual and families, community, and organisational development. Renzo has extensive experience in the development and delivery of programs and training in trauma informed practice including the recently implemented Trauma Informed Leadership Program delivered to managers of Area Mental Health Services in Victoria in partnership with Centre for Mental Health Learning and Department of Health.
Please note, this course is subject to receiving a minimum number of enrolments and conditional to Government restrictions implemented at the time of the course. In the case we are unable to deliver the course face-to-face, the event will be transferred to online delivery instead. Those who do not wish to attend online may otherwise choose to reschedule to an alternative course date, or receive a full refund of the course minus any platform ticketing fees.
Take advantage of a 15% discount on the combined cost when you enrol in both the Foundational and Intermediate Counselling Skills professional development and training programs within the same transaction. Simply use the coupon code “CSBundle” at checkout to unlock this exclusive offer.
Our programs attract a 10% concession for health care card holders, pensioners, people receiving benefits. Those applying for concessions must provide a copy (photo evidence is accepted) of their social security card or health care card together with their application, via email to [email protected].
By purchasing a ticket, you are confirming to have read and agreed to the Enrolment Terms and Conditions set by The Cairnmillar Institute.