Every year more than two million students choose to study in Australia at private organisations like Cairnmillar. Our international reputation for excellence in the area of professional education and education are widely known.

In previous years, students from Turkey, Romania, England, Bhutan, Israel, India, Sri Lanka, Columbia, and Kenya, have taken the opportunity to extend their professional development and education at one of Australia’s oldest schools of psychotherapy. They join many other graduates who continue to tell us that our courses offered something that is practical and real, and has contributed to the development of their chosen path.

Our aim is for our international students to have a positive and personal learning experience that will enhance and contribute to their wide knowledge and understanding. Please note: if you are applying for a psychology course, you will need to have your psychology degree assessed by the Australian Psychological Society if you studied overseas and provide the supporting documentation with your application.

Academic and Professional Referee Reports will also be required.

Study Melbourne have created an app specifically for international students arriving in Melbourne. Unlock Melbourne helps students with everything from setting up a tax file number, writing a resume, completing daily tasks, finding good weekend activities and making friends. This app unlocks information about the world’s most liveable city and soon you’ll be living like a local.
More information available here or Download Unlock Melbourne for Apple / Download Unlock Melbourne for Android.

International Student Policy

See SSP009 International Student Policy

The Application Process

  1. Select the program that you wish to study and ensure that you meet the minimum academic entry requirements. You will also need to check that you meet the International English Language Proficiency requirements for the selected course.
  2. Review the application FAQ
  3. Complete the online application form
  4. Attach the relevant documents with your application form
  5. Submit your application form with required documentation
  6. If you are eligible for the program, you will be contacted for an interview

Applications can only be submitted online via our Apply Now page.

Successful Applications and Enrolment

  1. If your application is successful you will be made an offer of study by email
  2. You will indicate if you plan to accept or decline the offer online, and will confirm if you are applying for an international student visa
  3. You will then be sent a detailed write International Student Enrolment Agreement and an invoice for your first semester tuition fees in advance (normally equivalent to 4 units of study)
  4. You must sign and return your International Student Enrolment Agreement before you make your first payment
  5. You will then pay your tuition fees for your first semester of study in advance
  6. You will be sent your official Confirmation of Enrolment (eCoE) once your payment is received and confirmed, and can then formally apply for a student visa

International Student Tuition Fees

Information on tuition fees for international students can be found on our Higher Education Fees page.

Visa Application

International students will be responsible for obtaining and maintaining a valid student visa for the duration of their studies.


Courses which are offered to overseas students must be registered on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS).

You can find a list of the courses offered for international student enrolments and the regulatory history of every registered provider on CRICOS. The Cairnmillar Institute is a CRICOS registered provider, number 03530E, and our listing can be found here.

Basic Requirements

Whatever your course of study or country of citizenship, you will need to meet the following basic requirements:

  • Obtain overseas student health cover insurance (OSHC)
  • No debts to the Commonwealth
  • Good character
  • Evidence of sound health
  • Having sufficient funds
  • Evidence of English language ability (IELTS test results)

For further information with respect to the health requirements and other general conditions of entry please refer to the Department of Home Affairs for Entering Australia

The International English Language Testing System (IELTS)

International students, who do not otherwise meet the AHPRA English standards, are required to have a minimum score of 7.0 in each of the four components (listening, reading, writing and speaking) of the IELTS test, and a minimum overall band score of 7.

See also: SSP009 International Student Policy

Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)

It is a requirement of Australian Government that you maintain Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the entire period of your student visa. You will be responsible for obtaining and maintaining appropriate OSHC. Please note: OSHC does not cover any pre-existing conditions (such as pregnancy or prior illness). Further information can be obtained from www.oshcworldcare.com.au

Applying for a Visa

Detailed instructions for applying for a student visa can be found in the Department of Home Affairs website at: Explore visa options for studying in Australia

To apply for a student visa you should complete a visa application form at Student Visa Online Applications and submit to the Department of Home Affairs with all required documentation, the application fee, and a copy of your or Electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCoE). Note that when enrolling in a course with Cairnmillar, you should advise what qualifications you currently have as credit may be given for prior learning. This may affect the duration of any course you enrol in, and the visa issued by the immigration department.

The Electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (eCoE)

The eCoE is the only accepted evidence of enrolment for processing student visa applications.

You will only be provided with an eCOE after you have signed and returned your International Student Enrolment Agreement and paid for your first semester tuition fees in advance.

Support for International Students

The Study Melbourne Student Centre (SMSC) is a ‘one stop shop’ where international students in Victoria can access a range of information about health matters, general wellbeing, legal services, accommodation, financial management and safety.

Their services are free and confidential and can be accessed in various languages through multilingual staff and use of interpreting services via their 24-hour free phone line (1800 056 449) or by visiting the office during business hours, Monday to Friday. For more information, please visit Study Melbourne Student Centre.

A range of services and support are also offered by Cairnmillar staff, including specialist careers advice, English Language and Academic Writing support, independent counselling services, and a fantastic student mentoring and leadership program. Current Cairnmillar students can find links and full list of internal and external support services on the myCMI student website.

See also: SSP009 International Student Policy and SSP010 Learning Environment Student Wellbeing and Inclusion Policy.

International Students Refund Policy

A copy of Cairnmillar’s refund policy can be found in section 3.5 of the SSP011 Tuition Fees Policy and Procedure.

Education Agents

Cairnmillar does not have any formal arrangements with education agents in Australia or overseas. We do not pay commission for enrolments or applications, and as such are not an attractive option for most agents. We ask that international education agents do not contact us as partnerships will not be possible at this time.

Younger Students

Cairnmillar does not enrol any international students who are under 18 years of age.

International Students not Requiring a Student Visa

Some students who are not Australian citizens may already hold a visa which allows full or part-time study (e.g. a spousal visa). If you are successful in being made an offer of study but indicate you will not be applying for a Student Visa on your acceptance and enrolment form, then you may need to consent to a VEVO check to confirm your eligibility to study in Australia for the duration of your program.

Note: Permanent residents and New Zealand citizens are considered domestic students for tuition fee purposes but will not normally be eligible for FEE-HELP. See: Tuition Fees for further information.