Advanced Counselling Skills
This course is aimed at individuals who already have education or experience in a counselling capacity. In this program you will learn to apply the core skills learnt in the introductory course to particular problems and issues, such as depression, anxiety management, grief and loss, and suicide risk assessment.
Throughout the program, students will be challenged to reflect on the way their own experiences impact on the counselling process, and learn to recognise and manage their own feelings. Students will learn more advanced skills in maintaining the counselling relationships and managing issues such as client resistance and interpersonal processes in therapy.
The importance of applying psychotherapeutic theory in regards to the conceptualisation of client’s presenting problems, and the application of appropriate therapeutic interventions will also be highlighted through a brief introduction of different theoretical models. Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) will then be discussed in more detail and practical case examples will be used to demonstrate CBT interventions for depression and anxiety. Participants will be encouraged to extend their knowledge of psychotherapeutic theories and interventions in order to develop a sound framework for working with clients, and to further enhance their effectiveness in their varied helping roles or professions.
- Review of micro skills and counselling techniques
- Introduction to different psychotherapeutic theories and models
- Performing a Mental Status Exam
- Addressing maladaptive repetitive relational patterns
- Introduction to Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) theory
- CBT interventions for depressive symptoms
- CBT interventions for anxiety management
- Working with client resistance
- Interpersonal processes in therapy
- Suicide risk assessment
- Introduction to counselling for grief and loss issues
- Preventing counsellor burnout
- Ethical issues in counselling
9am – 4pm (3 Full Day Sessions)
For further information, email the Short Course Coordinator at: email@example.com
*Terms and Conditions apply, please see Enrol Now page for full details.