Counselling Skills (Intermediate)
This workshop builds on the skills and processes developed in the Counselling Skills (Foundational) short course. In this two-day hands-on workshop, we will explore counselling from the perspective that we have an inner cognitive and emotional life that significantly effects how we live day-to-day as well as long-term choices made. From these understandings, we will explore processes and applications that can assist clients to become further empowered, self-aware, self-accepting and positive.
This course is designed for people that have some basic education in counselling approaches and/or are already working with clients in a supportive capacity and wish to extend their training and skills.
Please note, this course does not qualify participants to work in a professional setting as a counsellor.
Via a mix of group learning, role-plays, exercises and education sessions, following the completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Understand and demonstrate active listening skills and a person-centred approach
- Understand the process of the adaptive self on authenticity and applications when working with clients
- Develop awareness and skills to assist clients to progress from negative self-talk to self-acceptance
- Develop an introductory understanding of the effects of interconnected internal and external factors and their impact on wellbeing and health (Note: this will be delivered via a brief overview and a detailed handout)
- Understand and apply a strengths- and values-based approach to client work
- Apply structured and unstructured goal setting approaches with clients
- Understand and apply principles of motivation and reinforcement theory for building positive habits
- Apply scale-ruler questions to assess needs, relationships and decision-making
- Understand the concept of core emotions and emotional suppression, and, how to work at an emotional level with clients
- Understand the concepts and application of gratitude and compassion
- Practice and extend self-awareness in the counselling process
Depending on the needs and counselling experience of the group members, the above learning objectives may be modified accordingly.
Tuesday 25th and Wednesday 26th February 2020
|391-393 Tooronga Road
Hawthorn East VIC 3123
Wednesday 3rd and Thursday 4th June 2020
Thursday 26th and Friday 27th November 2020
If you have a group of 10 or more participants and would like us to deliver this course at your office, please email email@example.com.
8.30am – 4.30pm (2 Full Day Sessions)
$580 inc GST and ticketing fee.
Our programs attract a 10% concession for health care card holders, pensioners, full‐time students and people receiving benefits. Those applying for concessions must provide a copy (photo evidence is accepted) of their student card, social security card, or health care card together with their application, to email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Cairnmillar can offer these courses for your organisation’s needs. Our consultants can offer these courses in your workplace. Our facilities are also available to run specific education courses.
For further information, email the Short Course Coordinator at: email@example.com