This workshop builds on the skills and processes developed in the professional development and training opportunity. In this two-day hands-on workshop, we will explore counselling from the perspective that we have an inner cognitive and emotional life that significantly effects how we live day-to-day as well as long-term choices made. From these understandings, we will explore processes and applications that can assist clients to become further empowered, self-aware, self-accepting and positive.
This course is designed for people that have some basic education in counselling approaches and/or are already working with clients in a supportive capacity and wish to extend their training and skills.
Please note, this course does not qualify participants to work in a professional setting as a counsellor.
What does this course offer?
Via a mix of group learning, role-plays, exercises and education sessions, following the completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Understand and demonstrate active listening skills and a person-centred approach
- Understand the process of the adaptive self on authenticity and applications when working with clients
- Develop awareness and skills to assist clients to progress from negative self-talk to self-acceptance
- Develop an introductory understanding of the effects of interconnected internal and external factors and their impact on wellbeing and health (Note: this will be delivered via a brief overview and a detailed handout)
- Understand and apply a strengths- and values-based approach to client work
- Apply structured and unstructured goal setting approaches with clients
- Understand and apply principles of motivation and reinforcement theory for building positive habits
- Apply scale-ruler questions to assess needs, relationships and decision-making
- Understand the concept of core emotions and emotional suppression, and, how to work at an emotional level with clients
- Understand the concepts and application of gratitude and compassion
- Practice and extend self-awareness in the counselling process
Depending on the needs and counselling experience of the group members, the above learning objectives may be modified accordingly.
This course is delivered from 8.30am until 4.00pm, or 9.00am until 4.30pm, across two consecutive days. It is run either online or face-to-face at 391-393 Tooronga Road, Hawthorn East VIC 3123.
Upcoming Course Dates
- April 2024
2024 course dates will be released soon. To be notified for when enrolments are open, please submit your interest here.
Please note, this course is subject to receiving a minimum number of enrolments and conditional to Government restrictions implemented at the time of the course. In the case we are unable to deliver the course face-to-face, the event will be transferred to online delivery. We will email all registered attendees as soon as possible if changes are required. In this case, a free course transfer will also be available to an alternative course date, or a full refund of the course minus any platform ticketing fees.
Dr Christine Brown, Short Courses and VET Trainer
Christine is a registered psychologist, facilitator and coach. Christine specialises in a range of managerial and leadership skills including communication, innovation, personal brand, resilience, presentation skills, leading change and workplace wellbeing. Christine has provided training, coaching and leadership programs for some of Australia’s leading corporations.
Christine’s facilitation style is energetic and she is passionate about empowering and motivating individuals to make positive changes in their professional and personal lives. Drawing on her experience as a people leader, Christine can move from the theoretical into how skills can be applied in practice.
Christine is passionate about psychological safety in the workplace, holds a PhD in Psychology and is a Prosci and PCI certified change practitioner.
Our course fees are inclusive of GST. Participant materials include a 20-page workbook as well as a certificate of completion.
Standard Enrolment: $580
Cairnmillar Student: $290
*Our programs attract a 10% concession for health care card holders, pensioners and people receiving benefits. Those applying for concessions must provide a copy (photo evidence is accepted) of their social security card, or health care card together with their application, via email to [email protected].
Cairnmillar can offer this or other tailored courses for your organisation’s needs. If you have a group of 10 or more participants, we can come to you. For further information, email the Professional Development Team at [email protected] or phone 03 9813 3400.
From workshops, guest speakers, conferences and seminars, there's always something to do and experience at CMI.
Our Vocational Education and Training (VET) Centre offers a suite of flexible, applied learning options that can be tailored to meet workplace needs.
Upgrade your career skills and deepen your knowledge of mental health, leadership and business subject areas, with flexible microcredential and single subject enrolment.
We have several pathways for people to become psychologists, counsellors, psychotherapists and mental health workers. Find your pathway and unlock your future.