All international applicants and overseas-born domestic applicants (for Counselling & Psychotherapy only) will need to provide evidence of English proficiency for entry to our courses and provisional registration as a psychologist (if applicable).
See our International Students page for further information on unique entry requirements.
Equivalent evidence may include:
- All of your primary and secondary education was taught and assessed solely in English in a recognised country (as per AHPRA English Language Standards).
- The IELTS (academic module) with a minimum overall score of 7 and a minimum score of 7 in each of the four components (listening, reading, writing and speaking).
- The PTE Academic with a minimum overall score of 65 and a minimum score of 65 in each of the four communicative skills (listening, reading, writing and speaking).
- The TOEFL iBT with a minimum total score of 94 and the following minimum score in each section of the test:
- 24 for listening,
- 24 for reading,
- 27 for writing, and
- 23 for speaking.
- The OET with a minimum score of B in each of the four components (listening, reading, writing and speaking).
Psychology courses will not consider any international applicants or overseas born domestic applicants with an IELTS lower than 7 (or equivalent). All psychology applicants must meet the minimum English language requirements for AHPRA registration. See the AHPRA website for more information.
The Masters of Counselling and Psychotherapy may provisionally consider applicants who have an IELTS score of 6.5 or better where other factors are exceptional. The Bachelor of Psychology and Counselling may consider applicants who have an IELTS score of 6 or better for a conditional offer where other aspects of the application are exceptional.
We do not consider international applications without an IELTS score or other evidence of meeting English language requirements, and we are unable to offer conditional places on these grounds. Applicants attending an English course in Australia or elsewhere are encouraged to apply at the end of that course once their IELTS or equivalent test score has been improved.